One Year stand with ISB

This Blog aims to capture my affair with ISB and beyond.

Name:
Location: Hyderabad, India

I promise not to make this a chronicle of events unfolding in ISB or the world in general. These posts will generally qualify those events with my thoughts. At the same time I promise it will be enjoyable :-)

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Cooking

Cooking is a great stress relieving activity and a welcome and different change from starring at the laptop screen for endless hours (and u 2 bloggie). Cutting onions and tomatoes, beating eggs, whipping the cream and frying and cooking things takes you to an altogether different world. You must be thinking that I become sadistic in the kitchen, but thats what cooking is all about. It relieves you from the million concepts flirting with your mind and gives you a chance to do something different. I generally like to multitask while cooking and prepare 3 to 4 dishes at a time. Optimum utilisation of resources and time u c. Also having a prior experience of 3 years in yankee land and the land of Oz helps. My roomies used to swear by my cooking and I have rescued many of them from malnutrition and hunger.

But there is one thing that I hate about cooking (and ofcourse eating): Washing dishes. Why dont I employ a Bai (maid) you say? Well that is because this is just the preliminary stage and will be doing so as soon as Kandy comes on board. Also, I didnt have the luxury of hiring one in yankeeland or in the land of OZ where I developed these skills (it was a matter of survival then!!!). But something that started as a question of survival eventually metamorphised into a liking and then a hobby. But the scarcity of maids did teach me a lesson: clean up immediately after you cook. Atleast to an extent that it becomes easier later. And I have incorporated that lesson big time. So you wont find my kitchen cluttered with vegetable waste or dirty utensils.

Also I never cook at home. Mom is the queen of kitchen and she is very particular about cleanliness (hope she is not reading this). I tried to delight and surprise her once by making poha in the morning. Everything was perfect but just at the last moment, a small portion of cooked poha fell on the other side of the gas stove. I hurried to clean it up before mom could see and got burnt on the forearm in the bargain. But still I managed to clean it before mom could see and all was well. Cuts and burns and wastes and dirty dishes, just become a part of life in the kitchen. But they are a welcome change from the huge back breaking Term 1 books and handouts. Also the most important thing is it fills your stomach!!

Parting Joke (My original)
The flame was flirting with the vegetable in the vessel. What did the vegetable say to the flame???

'Cook me Tender!'

So long...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home