One Year stand with ISB

This Blog aims to capture my affair with ISB and beyond.

Name:
Location: Hyderabad, India

I promise not to make this a chronicle of events unfolding in ISB or the world in general. These posts will generally qualify those events with my thoughts. At the same time I promise it will be enjoyable :-)

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Way to go

Its really amazing and it strikes me with more and more force as the days progress and as I do more and more readings. Its subtle, always with the flow and if I was not fed with the opposite since I learnt to read I wouldnt have realised it. Its also a very good thing and literature has finally done justice to something which was long pending. You are wondering what it is?

It is the reference to the female in the third person in almost all the text books, course packs and other material that I have read after joining BSchool. Most of the customers, suppliers, managers, supervisors, workers, technicians, professors, doctors and all the other characters that you come across in typical business scenarios are amply referred by 'she', signifying that they are women and they are here to stay. This is a subtle but a very powerful way of giving women their rightful place and I am glad that its happening. Also we have come across almost 4 successful FEMALE entrepreneurs in the first 4 cases of the Entrepreneurship course which I think is a fairly good proportion. This sends out a powerful message that not only men but women can also start new ventures and be successful. Girls are you listening...

Most of the textbooks and material that I had read during my undergraduate course always had the 'he'. The 'She' was almost non existent. I think this is what forced me to identify the overwhelming presence of the 'she' in the readings. It might also be the case that I read Indian textbooks in undergrad and now I am mostly reading foreign material and the foreign material always contained the 'she' all along. But still the change remains substantial and hope it gets replicated down to the primary school level. In school, all the math, science and other subjects which required reference to a person without regard to the gender always contained the male. Hope the new text books that are written take care of this simple discrepancy and show women affected by the same problems and present in the same decision making processes in textbooks as the males have been shown to have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home